Having established what the signs of bed bugs are its time to actually find bed bugs or the tell tale signs they leave behind.
Where do you start?
Before you begin it might be wise to arm yourself with a good flashlight and a magnifying glass, remember bed bugs are really tiny and you are looking for blood smears, faecal marks, live bugs, nymphs, cast skins and eggs.
You are most likely to find bed bugs is your bed.
1. Check bed linen for blood spots.
2. Strip off sheets etc. and carefully check your mattress and pillows. Pay particular attention along seams, in creases and folds and around buttons, handles and labels.
3. If your bed has a box spring check this in the same way as your mattress.
4. Along the base of your headboard is another place you are likely to find bed bugs
5. In Mattresses and box springs which are perhaps quite old and have rips in the fabric you may actually find bed bugs living and breeding inside. You should try to get a look but this will probably be almost impossible without making holes and rips bigger.
Next, check the furniture in the room.
1. Begin with items of furniture closest to the bed. Inspect them carefully not forgetting the under side of chairs etc.
2. Empty and take out drawer carefully check inside the piece of furniture, the bottom of drawers and the base.
3. Do the same with closets.
Closely Inspect the rest of the room.
1. Check along base boards
2. Look around door and window frames.
3. Inspect along the egdes of carpets.
4. Look closely at any cracks and cevices in walls or floors.
5. Check behind any loose wall coverings.
Remember bed bugs when they are not engorged with blood have flat, oval bodies which can fit into the tiniest of cracks.
Systematically check everything else in the room where you might find bed bugs
3. soft toys
4. curtains and cushions and other soft furnishings
Lastly, it is not uncommon for bed bugs to be found in obscure places.
1. alarm clocks
2. picture frames
3. electrical switches
When trying to find bed bugs you should leave nothing unchecked – it may be time consuming but you should be able to establish whether or not you have a problem.